Teletherapy, (also referred to as telehealth, online therapy or telemedicine) is a form of video meetings that allow therapists to provide services to clients via a secure 2-way video session. It also provides the opportunity for consultation with family members, teachers and other providers involved in the client’s care. Surveyed patients participating in teletherapy say they are very satisfied with the care they are receiving and that they feel teletherapy is a reliable form of practice. In addition, they find that they are able to keep their appointments on a more regular basis.Request a Consult
Who is Teletherapy For?
Teletherapy is beneficial for a range of people, for a diverse set of circumstances or experiences, including couples, individuals, groups and teens. Teletherapy has been around since the 1990s in the United States and is considered a highly effective method for therapy delivery.
Research studies, many of which are listed in bibliography format by the Telemental Health Institute, also indicate that telemental health is equivalent to face-to-face care in various settings and an acceptable alternative.
Here’s some research:
- A 2014 study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders found that online treatment was just as effective as face-to-face treatment for depression.
- A 2018 study published in the Journal of Psychological Disorders found that online cognitive behavioral therapy is, “effective, acceptable and practical health care.” The study found the online cognitive behavioral therapy was equally as effective as face-to-face treatment for major depression, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder.
- A 2014 study published in Behaviour Research and Therapy found that online cognitive behavioral therapy was effective in treating anxiety disorders. Treatment was cost-effective and the positive improvements were sustained at the one-year follow-up.
How can I prepare for my first Teletherapy session with Life Compass?
Joining your first session is straightforward. Here are some items you will need or should consider”
- A private space (office, home, parked car, or even a walk in the park).
- A computer, tablet, or phone (no applications or software to download).
- A web camera (built in to your computer, external or on your phone).
- A microphone (built it, headset, or earbuds).
- An internet connection with a bandwidth of at least 10 MBPS. We recommend an Ethernet cable over Wifi when possible to ensure you receive the best possible connection through your internet provider (but this is not mandatory). You can check your internet speed here.
- Shut down all background applications to ensure Teletherapy session receives the majority of your internet’s bandwidth, especially applications that use your camera.
Not quite sure if online therapy is right for you? Do you have questions?
Life Compass offers a free, 15 minute consultation. We’ll talk a about your goals, gather some background information, and see if we’re a good fit.
Complete the form below or call/text us at 530.341.8180 to get started.